Welcome to Sassy Plants - a blog about urban gardening, edible landscaping, and other plant rants.

Friday, December 11, 2009

The Gift of Seeds

Earlier this year I was surprised to have a few of my gardening friends tell me that they never save their seeds!  It is probably apparent from previous posts that I really like to save my garden seeds.  From a practical perspective it saves me the time and money of buying all new seeds every year.  But, more than that, saving seeds makes gardening a continuum as opposed to a temporary, seasonal event.  The same snap peas that I ate with my neighbors this Fourth of July were from the peas that we ate together last year, and the year before, and so on.
Another reason I like to save seeds is so I can share them! It is said that people usually give the gifts that they themselves want to receive.  I try to be mindful of this, but the giving of seeds might be an exception.
Last year I made little seed books that I gave to my gardening family & friends. This year I found some origami paper that I have turned into seed envelopes.

I have turned them over so the labels won't show and I don't completely ruin the surprise for anyone.

I think the giving of things you want to receive has paid off, because I was also the recipient of several neat seeds packages this year.  I am not entirely sure if this is legal, so the giver shall remain nameless, but a friend of mine went to France twice this year and brought back seed packs for me on both occasions!  From the first visit came seeds for a small round eggplant called 'Ronde de Valence'.  When I looked it up online it was categorized as 'extinct' in the United States! The eggplant was delicious, and a perfect size for making eggplant parmesan sandwiches.  Mmmm.  I also received spinach and mache.  The second trip was recent, so I didn't grow any of these seeds this year, but they included endive, leeks, a variety of white onion called 'Hatif de Paris', lettuce, and cherry tomatoes. I am intrigued by the cherry tomato package.  My French isn't fantastic, but I recognize the word 'cocktail' when I see it!


The mixology department may need to conduct some research.

1 comment:

  1. Seed giver may turn into cocktail inventor.

    ReplyDelete