Welcome to Sassy Plants - a blog about urban gardening, edible landscaping, and other plant rants.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

I heart Hinoki

I love Hinoki.  I do.  I get weak in the knees over a good Slender Hinoki. Once someone told me that they thought Hinoki look just like Arborvitae.  I can't remember who said that because, in all honesty, I probably wrote them off as soon as the words left their lips.

Hinoki are a false cypress, native to Japan. They have sprayed vegetation that is somewhat twisted and cupped, which gives it really interesting contrast and depth. And they are evergreen, and low maintenance.  What is not to love?
Above is a courtyard garden I designed at NW 11th & Kearney in Portland.  
Look at the beautiful Hinoki!

4 comments:

  1. My gosh - Hinoki don't look a thing like Arborvitae. I think "writing off" was the right thing. They are lovely. Can they be grown in NC?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! You absolutely can grow Hinoki in North Carolina. The JC Raulston Arboretum has several varieties in their conifer collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice courtyard!
    I love the hinkoki-- they have so much personality

    ReplyDelete