Welcome to Sassy Plants - a blog about urban gardening, edible landscaping, and other plant rants.

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Green Tomatoes

I used to despair over my green tomatoes at the end of the season.  I know there are many ways to prepare green tomatoes, but I want to eat the ripe ones.  I finally wised up and realized that you can ripen your tomatoes indoors!
Last year I kept clusters of tomatoes on the vine, and hung them all inside.  It worked pretty well, and we were eating the last of the tomatoes in late December. Not bad, huh?!  Below is a photo - it's a little grainy, but you get the idea.

Last week I pulled up our tomato plants, and with them about 5 or 6 gallons of green tomatoes. So this year I am hanging some of the tomatoes again, and I am also layering them with newspaper in small cardboard boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment