Welcome to Sassy Plants - a blog about urban gardening, edible landscaping, and other plant rants.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Mouse Melon II

Last week I took about a dozen Mouse Melons and carefully squeezed out the tiny seeds to save and plant next spring. I left the seeds uncovered overnight, and when I woke up...   they were gone.
Today I tried again.  After cutting open a few of the tiny cukes I was bombarded by my cat Henry who jumped up on the counter and was butting my hand away to get at the cucumbers.  It turns out that my cat loves to eat Mouse Melons.  Mystery solved.                                                              
         
To save seeds from Mouse Melon you do a fermenting process like you would if you are saving tomato seeds.  Let the cucumbers get a bit over ripe, squeeze out the seeds into a bowl, let it sit for few days until a thick film grows on top.  Scrape off the film, rinse seeds thoroughly, spread out to dry on a paper towel, and then store in a cool, dry place.
                                                                                                                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment