Welcome to Sassy Plants - a blog about urban gardening, edible landscaping, and other plant rants.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Luffa!


What could be cooler or more sustainable than growing your own sponges?!
I was so excited to grow luffa this year.  I wanted to have some for our own use, but I also wanted to give them as holiday presents.  Yes, I was planning in advance!  How sweet would that be to get a nice home grown luffa?
I harvested the luffa last week, and it turned out to be a very quick process because I only had two!  Better luck next year.
Here is a photo of the 'bounty' (one luffa is cut in half):











Here's the dirt on harvesting luffa:


Luffa is an edible plant.  If you want to eat it, just harvest the young small fruit and prepare it like you would prepare squash.
To use as a sponge wait until the luffa is done growing, is very lightweight and has turned yellow and dark brown or black. Peel the skin off, and rinse out the seeds and flesh. Dry seeds on a paper towel and then store for next year.
When the luffa is cleaned out soak it for 5-10 minutes in water with about 5% bleach.  Rinse and lay out to dry.

1 comment:

  1. Huh. Who knew you could grow luffa. I'm definitely adding this to my garden--if I ever get a yard.

    ReplyDelete